Sunday 23 June 2013

Day 21, 22 & 23 #Juneathon - 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

Hello you, long time no blog! Well, three days so not that long to be fair but hope you've not missed me too much! 

Day 21 was yet another non-eventful day exercise wise. I would love to say that, non-exercise wise, it was an amazing day but alas, no; another busy working day and nothing major to report other than my foot is getting slightly better; the hobble-limp is subsiding & the bruising coming out in that lovely hue of yellow. I did, however, finally gave in and purchased a Garmin Forerunner 410. Whoohoooo! I was quite pleased with my foot getting better and I think I got a little carried away and 'rewarded' myself with a little running gadget. It has been on the cards for a while as I want to get more serious & structured with my training & work on likes of my splits & intervals, and my Nike+ app on my iPhone doesn't allow to track this. Not sure if I am trying to convince you or myself more that my purchase was justified! 

Day 22 was a busy day with lots to be getting on with at home. The weather was shockingly autumnal and perfect for cracking on and getting things done so that it exactly what I did. A productive day. As the day went on, I felt that I should try and get more mobile on my foot and see how it would bear up with some exercise. It will come as no surprise to you that it was in the form of my ever-trusty Davina DVD & the Bootcamp session. My foot held up OK with some slightly concerning cracking & clicking at some points although I did keep it fairly low impact on jumping etc (maximum effort on the weights though!). Overall though, it felt good to be doing something energetic and I'm glad I made the effort to give it a go, even if tentatively. I'm also glad I made the effort to move as it made some room on the calorie allowance for sharing a bottle of wine whilst watching a DVD with a friend in the evening ("I Give It A Year" - low key funny film, worth a watch, chuckled throughout and LOVED Minnie Driver but not enough Stephen Merchant in it! Barry Norman-esque review there for you!)

Day 23 I ran today!! I actually ran!! Whoop whoop! It was again tentatively and I was debating whether I should really be trying to run at all yet - Is it too soon? Have I rested enough? Should I have eaten that second sausage or had that slice of cheesecake at Liam's 4th Birthday BBQ this afternoon? - all these questions running through my mind. But sod it! I was getting itchy feet and restless at not running for a week and the only way I would find out is to get out there and run. I felt like I needed to support my foot in someway so pulled on a tubagrip & my shiny new Garmin and headed out the door (I did have the rest of running kit on! I'm not that cruel!!) The first mile was slow (10:18) as I was really cautious of my impact & landing but by mile 2, I had loosened up and was a little less cautious as my mile time will confirm, 8:48. Sure, it was still niggling and the odd shooting pain was there but nothing to make me want to pull up and stop. It felt good to be out. Just as I was cruising along I had a sharp shooting pain so did have to pull up and walk for a bit but I wasn't too concerned that it was anything serious. After a short while, I was back trotting onwards and back into a rhythm. Before I knew it, I was home after running 3.7 miles in 36 mins. Not setting the world on fire by any means but I'm pleased to be back out there. And my foot? Well, it's a bit sore and currently my frozen sweetcorn is in action but overall, it's OK. 

So, there you are, a quick round up of the past 3 days and my Juneathon activities and 2 days out of 3 ain't bad (for a peg leg like me!) Let's see what day 24 and the last week of Juneathon has to offer. 

PS: Well done to all runners who took part in Longest Day Run (@longestdayrun) and The Wall Ultra (@ratraceHQ) as well as all other races & tri's! 

No comments:

Post a Comment