Thursday 13 June 2013

Day 13 #Juneathon - Life gets in the way


Hello? Anybody there? Have you missed me? No? Oh, right.....charming!

It's been a tough, busy week at work and I've been a bit flaky with Juneathon since Monday and my triumphant negativity. Not an excuse, not looking for sympathy (not that I would get any from you crowd anyway!), but I'm just saying how it is. 

Being away overnight with work on Day 11 was always going to pose a bit of a challenge to fit some sort of activity into my day. A very early start, long meeting and an overnight hotel stay with colleagues. I am fairly used to being away with work and always like the idea of exploring somewhere new with a little run. My running & exercise kit always travels with me. Sometimes the idea is better than the reality as the location of some of the hotels can leave a lot to be desired & lone running isn't the ideal thing to do. So what do I do? I rely on my well-talked-about trusty Davina DVD of course! Thankfully, I weigh a lot less than I did this time last year and I'm no longer paranoid that I will descend onto my neighbour in the room below me as I finish off my spotty dogs or high knees! Space can be a bit of an issue but the bed gets pushed back, chairs and desks re-arranged and I make the most of what space I've got. And that goes for intensity too. It's only a short 45 min workout but I only had 30 mins before I had to meet the team for dinner. So it was a 45 min effort squeezed into 30 mins. Needless to say my face was still cherry red post shower as I headed down to dinner! My colleagues still find it amusing that I actually do a workout in my room. I find it odd that they don't! Overall I was pleased that a) I had managed to squeeze in some activity and b) had refused my fave dessert of caramel apple crumble. Go me, on both efforts!

The best I could do for Day 12 was clamber up the stairs to my flat (two flights) armed with my laptop, work bag, handbag, suitcase, shopping and I am pretty sure there was some other bagged item, in a bit of a rush before a friend came round for dinner 30 mins later. I will log this as some form of HIIT and be done with it. 

Day 13 is embarrassingly absent of any form of activity. Workload is heavy & I only left my desk twice today to venture into the kitchen to make coffee and lunch. The only fresh air I have had is opening the balcony door.....and the wind quickly slammed it shut again. Dontcha love the British summer?! Rooted to my desk for the rest of the afternoon and early evening scuppered my plans for a run (again) and I am yet again sat in front of a laptop for the evening. Thankfully, the task I am doing is enjoyable, as I am editing the photographs I took at Paula & Stuart's wedding over the weekend. 

And that's what happens. In real life. Life does get in the way. You can either beat yourself up over it or accept that, you know what, it happens. Yes, it would be ideal if I could make sure that I run or do some form of exercise as I had planned. But every now and again, you've got to accept that priorities change and I am fairly (!) disciplined with my diet and exercise most of the time and a few days of slippage are seriously not the end of the world. 

Tomorrow is another day and I vow to move more than I did today. 

2 comments:

  1. Life is so inconvenient at times isn't it? I sympathise entirely, I have four guests arriving on Sunday for a few days and a six year-olds party to get through. I can't claim either as proper exercise but I will do! I'm really impressed by Davina coming away with you on business trips - you must be hardcore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about hardcore! But when you are sat in the car, then a meeting for most of the day and then an evening having dinner, I felt too sloth like not to do anything!
    I would say you'll have your work cut out with your guests & party and that it definitely counts as exercise! Don't forget to have fun too :o)

    ReplyDelete