Monday 17 June 2013

Day 17 #Juneathon - A 'weighting' game



With a self-inflicted period of rest enforced up on me, I've had to look at other ways to move during Juneathon to ensure that I don't become a member of the Chub Club and so that I can continue to blog about my activities. I bet you thought you had gotten away with me not forcing my ramblings upon you but alas, you poor buggers, I shall continue henceforth, sorry! ;o)

Not being able to put too much weight on my ankle is quite a hindrance to doing any other form of activity - not owning a bike means that there is not a lot else that doesn't involve weight bearing of sorts. I walked/limped/pathetically hobbled to the post office & supermarket today and it was a bit too hurty still. It is only a day & a bit after the incident so no real surprise that it was back to the freezer to reclaim the trusty bag of frozen sweetcorn and apply it whilst elevating ones leg when I returned home. Ouch. 

I have been looking to invest in some decent weight equipment for a while as I feel that I have 'outgrown' the dumbbells that I currently use. Don't get the wrong impression, I am nowhere near 'ripped', 'shredded' or 'hench' or whatever else the kids are calling it these days, but I can feel a difference in my slightly-just-about-getting-there-toned arms when using my heaviest (a modest 2.3kg, gotta start somewhere!) so time to upgrade. I've followed the progress of Becca Jones (@jbeccx) as she completed Julia Buckley's (@julia_B) Fat Loss Programme and was really impressed with the results (NB: I'll be pre-ordering Julia's book, which is due out early next year, as soon as I can!). Becca posted a picture on Twitter of her home weights kit and, after asking where they were from, I am now the proud owner for a 35kg dumbbell & barbell set. So whilst I am resting my ankle/foot, I will be trying out some upper body weight exercises. However, I don't think that the 'muscles from Brussels' has anything to worry about......for now, anyway!

As I alluded to at the start of this entry, I don't want to become a member of the Chub Club as I rest. A week off may not sound like it would do much damage but knowing me, as I do!, I can see how it could do if I let it. I don't cope well when things don't go my way and can tend to be a bit of an emotional eater. Running fits into my lifestyle pretty well and although I don't use it  (solely) to allow me to eat what I want, this is a welcome additional benefit. I'm frustrated & annoyed that I've got to rest for a week with only 7 weeks to go until Dublin half marathon and although I recognise & accept this, it is the very reason I do not have crisps, chocs or biccies in the house. It would be too easy to raid the cupboards and I just can't have that. Instead, I stocked up on fresh fruit & veg during my hobble to the supermarket today and have enjoyed a mixed berry with Alpro natural yoghurt for dessert tonight, yummy! I've also made a point of planning my meals for the week and have no intention of deviating from the plan. I'm by no means virtuous with my diet and slip up occasionally (refer to Day 14's consumption of an ENTIRE CDM Oreo bar!!) but being unable to exert oneself this week has definitely given me food for thought and the motivation to manage my food intake, and hopefully, my weight. 

So, I guess it's a bit of a 'waiting & weighting' game for the rest of the week: waiting until I can put weight on my ankle & get back running, weighting to try out my new weights and watching my weight! 

Gotta dash, it's sweetcorn time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment