Thursday 9 February 2012

parkrun followed by crossed fingers & touching wood


In my last post I mentioned that I would be taking part in my first ever parkrun at Abingdon and was a little nervous about it. Well, I need not have been it was fab! I printed off my barcode and set out my clothes to wear the night before and headed off for an early night. Wow, how my Friday nights have changed.....no vino for a start and a slightly carb-biased dinner. All tucked up in bed before the 10pm news; I know, rock & roll, I am not! 

I hadn't given much thought to the pre-run fuelling aka breakfast! Due to not being a morning person, I tend to run in the evenings so wasn't really sure what to have. A slice of wholemeal with marmite and a slurp of coffee was all I had to hand so that had to do! I set off in the car way too early so hung around in the car for a bit, as the other runners did too, clinging onto the last bit of warmth in the car before the start. A welcoming bunch awaited me and I got chatting to a local runner who I soon realised was the person I had been emailing about joining the local running club on their social runs, small world indeed! The course volunteers were great and greeted the newbies with a round of applause; a great welcome. And before I knew it, we were off. A lovely route along the Thames then into the Meadows and around past the Thames again and then the home straight. See, it all sounds soooo easy but I didn't find it easy. Partly I think because I am used to running on road and I was quite nervous about going over on my ankle/tripping down a rabbit hole/falling in the Thames, and partly to being unfit. I did 'fast walk' twice but was spurred on by the other runners and as long as I could see the lady in the A.A.C running vest, I was doing OK. The run wouldn't break any world records but I was pleased to get round and get the ball rolling on my future parkrun events and goals. I came 85th out of 91 runners and my time was 35:43 and I was OVER THE MOON! I really, genuinely don't care about the position but I was very pleased with my time and I am determined to improve on it week on week. parkrun has a new fan and I was buoyed even more the following week when I came in at 35:03 (with thanks to Lee Harris for keeping me running when I wanted to stop!!). Week three was out for me due to cold - the virus, not the weather! - but this weekend I am looking forward to seeing if I can match or beat my time - and try not to stop. Fingers crossed. 

Speaking of which, I may just be back on track with the Reading Half Marathon training now that my cold has almost fully departed. Fingers crossed again! My legs, calves in particular, have been tight this week and I only managed half of my planned distance but at least I was out pounding the streets. Another slight negative on the week is that despite fingers crossed, I didn't get into the Great North Run but having run it twice before, I'll keep trying for third time lucky (lots of superstition in this entry - Steve Wonder would be loving it!) So I am considering the Great South Run & the British Heart Foundation 10k or Half in October; I need a goal to work towards otherwise my enthusiasm and focus rapidly departs me!

Oh, and the touching wood relates to a little challenge that I have signed up to with my two besties - Sam & Lucy; on the 7th June I will be jumping out of an airplane, strapped (blooming securely, I hope!) to a Red Devil to raise money for Cancer Research UK. Touch wood, fingers crossed etc etc that we a) raise the money needed for this great cause, b) are allocated a rather lovely attractive Red Devil each c) have parachutes that work and d) have a bloody great big glass of chilled champers waiting for us when we safely land!!!! 

So, fingers crossed that the snow holds off to allow me to get to and complete parkrun; that my tight legs loosen up for my Reading Half training to stay on track and that we can start to raise awareness & funds for our tandem jump. Watch this space!

Recommended blogs: 




No comments:

Post a Comment